Traffic accidents in Cook County often cause devastating consequences. In fact, over 1,300 people lost their lives to Illinois crashes in 2021 alone. The numbers are worrisome for sure, but after you get injured in such an accident, you don’t have much to think about. Whether you should file a lawsuit against the at-fault party depends on many factors, and a skilled Chicago car accident attorney can help evaluate the worth of your claim. While Illinois is a fault state, winning a settlement for your auto accident claim won’t be easy. In this post, we are sharing primary details worth knowing about car accident lawyers.
- Most car accident lawyers don’t charge for case evaluations. Personal injury law firms usually have a free consultation offer for potential clients. Even when you think that your claim is worth nothing, you should meet an attorney and discuss the key aspects because it doesn’t cost a penny.
- Not all injury lawyers take car accident lawsuits. Some lawyers are more accomplished at handling medical malpractice lawsuits, while others frequently deal with other personal injury cases. If you are hiring a law firm, look for one that has a capable team of attorneys who specialize in car accident lawsuits.
- Your car accident lawyer will investigate the case. In order to bolster your claim, your lawyer will have to dig deeper and find more details and evidence related to the said car accident. In other words, it is essential, to be honest with your attorney at all times. If you had a share in the fault, you might still recover compensation, depending on the fault share.
- Your car accident lawyer can go to trial. Most cases concerning auto crashes and traffic accidents don’t end up in court, but as with most lawsuits, there are exceptions. If your case requires a trial, you will need an attorney who is aggressive and can defend your rights and interests. Ensure that you hire an attorney with trial experience.
- You don’t need to pay the car accident lawyer now. Usually, a contingency fee is a norm for most personal injury and auto crash lawsuits. If you win the case, the lawyer gets a share of the settlement, but if you don’t win financial compensation, the attorney cannot charge a fee.
Take your time to find the right lawyer for your car accident claim, but act early so that you have time to fight the legal battle.