Work Passes Singapore: Everything You Need to Know

The Ministry of Manpower offers many different types of passes for foreign workers coming to Singapore to work, but not all of them are equally useful depending on the circumstances surrounding your stay in the country. That’s why it’s important to understand exactly what these Work Passes Singapore are and which one you should apply for if you want to obtain one from the government agency. Here’s everything you need to know about Work Passes Singapore, including the new Employment Pass and Employment Pass Sponsorship Scheme.

What are Work Permits?

Work Permits are issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and enable foreigners who are employed in Singapore to work here. MOM imposes regulations on the issuing of Work Permits, and employers also impose certain obligations on their foreign employees. Obtaining a Work Permit is an integral step for those considering employment opportunities in Singapore, particularly when contemplating a move.

Work Permits can be categorized as follows: S Pass, Employment Pass, EntrePass, C-Pass and Personalised Employment Pass (PEP). While all employment passes allow you to work legally in Singapore, the permit you choose will depend on your needs and qualifications.

All about EP, S-Pass, DP, and SPR

Work Passes Singapore offer a range of different pass types. The type of work pass you need will depend on the work status and job scope that you are interested in. There are four basic types of work passes: Employment Pass (EP), S-Pass, Dependant’s Pass (DP) and SPR.

Employment passes can be granted to foreigners who have worked for at least 24 months in either the Public or Private sectors, holding a degree from a tertiary institution with good standing, or is able to support him/herself financially through investments or business activities. On top of meeting these criteria, the applicant must not be less than 18 years old and should not be less than 30 years old for management positions.

Why Get a Work Permit?

A work permit is a document issued by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) of Singapore that grants you the right to work in Singapore. There are two main types of work permits: Employment Pass and S-Pass. An Employment Pass is a more common type of work permit, usually granted for professionals, managers, or highly skilled foreigners looking for a long-term stay in Singapore while an S-Pass is typically only available to Singaporeans who have served National Service, or are engaged in overseas studies. The permit is given either as a stamp on your passport when entering or may be granted directly if you have not entered the country yet. Requirements differ depending on what type of work you are seeking so it’s important to know which type will best suit your needs!

What Are the Different Types of Work Permits in Singapore?

There are three types of work permits in Singapore, the Employment Pass (EP), the S-Pass and the Work Permit. The EP is for expatriates who take up skilled positions and roles in large multinational corporations. The S-Pass is for foreigners who undertake short-term employment or earn an income in a private company. Lastly, the Work Permit is for foreigners seeking employment in manual labour occupations that require skills not generally available from local employees. Since they vary in terms of length and eligibility requirements, it’s important to be aware of what you’re eligible for before making your decision.

How Long Is My Work Permit Valid For?: All visas are valid for 12 months, but depending on the type of visa you hold, the period may vary slightly. For example, holders of Employment Passes will have their visas extended by 30 days each time they renew their work pass before it expires. Likewise, individuals with S-Passes will have their visa extended by 60 days every time they renew their pass before it expires.

How Long Does it Take to Get My Work Permit?

When you have a job offer and want to start work, you’ll need a work permit. Applying for one starts with filling out an application form from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). We recommend being very detailed on the form – this will help MOM understand what type of applicant they’re dealing with and thus speed up the process.

Then, once we get your details and particulars, we can complete your work permit application on your behalf, which means no more worries about MOM’s timelines or forgetting that step. If you do decide to do it yourself instead, make sure you read through the MOM’s guide first.

The MOM wants all information entered by 11 am EST time on working days so they can process your application faster before their afternoon cutoff.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *